Community Action Marin
Over 4000 people benefit from CAM services every day.
Community Action Marin was incorporated in 1966 with an initial $40,000 Federal Grant. In 1967, the Marin County Board of Supervisors designated CAM as the county's official antipoverty agency. Our mandate was, and is, to eliminate the causes and consequences of poverty in Marin County.
Today, Community Action Marin is Marin's largest private social services agency, with over 250 employees, a staff of committed Program Directors, an active Board of Directors, and an Executive Director that has served the agency since 1968.
Over the last 40 years, Community Action Marin...
- has helped over 150,000 Marin residents in their quest for self-sufficiency;
- has graduated over 30,000 children from its day care centers;
- has served over 2.5 million meals to low-income children in its Child Development facilities;
- was one of the first providers of HIV/AIDS services in Marin and continues to offer a wide range of support services;
- created California’s first large-scale mental health program run for and by mental health clients.
Today, Community Action Marin...
- serves 1500 meals a day to needy children in Marin;
- meets the needs of the community in the workplace, on the streets and in the home;
- provides legal activism for the mentally ill, who often are not able to seek assistance on their own;
- is a first resource of emergency and day-to-day financial and professional help for many of Marin's most vulnerable populations;
- operates 15 diverse social service programs, and serves as fiscal agent for other agencies that do not have adequate administrative or support services.